Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 in Reflection and Looking Forward!




☆  Craft   

Favourite make of this year:
Knitting: My actual favourite knit is something I haven't blogged about yet, but out of the things that have turned up on my blog it's the hats! My Norse Hat I finished earlier this month and my There and Back Again Hat. Normally I'm much more of sweater girl than an accessory knitter. In general I wasn't to happy with most of the sweaters I knitted this year, so let's change that in 2014!

Sewing: My Reglisse Dress.

Biggest craft accomplishment:After years of only daring to sew cushion covers and skirts I finally took the plunge and made my first dress this summer. Since then I have sewed a variety of dresses and made plans for an army of handmade clothing. I learned to stop worrying and go for it.So far, it has worked our brilliantly and  and I am now (mostly) fearless and unstoppable on the sew front.

Craft ambition for 2014:
Knitting:
I want to make one of Lucy Hague's Shawls (She's well on her way to becoming one of my favourite designers, so far I want to make everything in her Celtic Cable Shawls collection)

Check list, make at least one of each of the following:

♥ Shetland cardigan/jumper

♥ Icelandic Cardigan/jumper
♥ Fishermen Sweater
♥ Vintage Cardigan/jumper
♥ A colourwork cardigan

I don't want to be to bothered by summer knitting this year. It doesn't really work for the country I live in anyway. It is either to hot for any knit wear or it's so cold you can wear your fall/winter/spring wear all year round. So instead of doing any summer knits I just want to focus on fall/winter (and spring) knits.



Sewing:
- Sew with difficult fabrics like sheer fabrics, slippery fabrics and knits
- Sew a coat
- Sew tops
-Sew a sturdy backpack to take to campus. (my current backpack is a really sad mess. I have to use sturdy fabric and carefully construct the bag as it will have to endure lots of weight from books, all weather conditions (I go to class on bike) and the dark, miserable place that is the cafeteria of the university ;)
Pattern suggestions for sewing backpacks and/or tips are most welcome!
-Sew dresses (this isn't much of a goal because I will mostly make and wear dresses anyway...but it are the things I wear most so...)
-Learn to sew button holes

Spinning:
Learn to spin with a navaho-spindle
Spin all my Icelandic fibre

Other
Learn to embroider

Overall:
I would like to knit and sew more projects next year than I did this year.




☆  Books   
What is the best book I read this year:
 As an avid reader and English literature student this is actually quite a hard question to answer.

♥ One Flew over  the Cuckoo's nest - Ken Kesey
♥ The Complete Maus - Art Spiegelman (Heads up: this is a graphic-novel, but even so it's one of the best pieces of literature I've read so far)
♥ Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer
 ♥ Whatever - Michel Houellebecq (I can't vouch for the English version, but the translator did an amazing job on the Dutch version "De wereld als markt en strijd")

♥ Oranges are not the Only Fruit - Jeanette Winterson  

Books I want to read next year:
My uni life already involves reading a lot of literature, even more so because next semester I choose a literature minor, so I have a lot of mandatory reading. One of the courses I choose is about early modern English women’s writing. I look very much forward to this course as it combines a lot of things I'm passionate about: Literature, history, social context and gender/feminist questions.
As not all books have to be college-related:
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman

Best Craft books I bought/was gifted this year: 
Dutch Traditional Ganseys (Visserstruien) - Stella Ruhe
The Art of Fair isle knitting - Ann Feitelson
Stranded Knits - Ann Kingstone



Craft Books I'm looking forward to read next year: 
Shetland Textiles 800 BC to present by Sarah Laurenson. I was gifted this book for Christmas and so far I have only been able to peek at some of the pages, but it looks amazing and I cannot wait to read it! It's about a Shetland crafts, and the photographs are so very inspiring. It's published by the Shetland Museum, and it has contributions by many historians and crafters, amongs whom Kate Davies. According to the 'further reading'-list at the end of te book, The vintage Shetland Project: Heirloom handknits from the Shetland museum by Susan Crawford will be published in 2014 as well! I'm really looking forward to it.


☆ Life  

What is my biggest non-craft accomplishment this year? 
This is easy, I got an important diploma at university back in the summer. It was pretty cool, I got to shake hands with important people, was in a room full of old portraits with stern men and women in black robes (it gave me a very hogwarts-y feeling) and my fellow students and I got a lot of applause. Also I celebrated with oreo cookies afterwards. That was a good day.


Non-craft ambition for next year:

- I will start my first minor in February, I choose something literature related, again. This means I will have to read a lot, probably more than I have ever done in my life. Things were already pretty hectic this semester with all the literature courses I was taking combined with all the preparations for my linguistic courses. Next semester will probably be even more busy and hectic, with the minor I'm taking, and some courses in middle English and some syntactic courses.  What I want to do is try to balance my university work load, my personal life (hobbies and sanity) and social life better.

-Be fearless and confident in myself and my abilities.

-Write more and let people read what I write.

-Blog more often and comment on other peoples blogs (I read a lot of blogs, and comment on some of them, but this has really been a learning curve for me. I love to hear from readers myself, but for the longest time I didn't comment on other blogs myself at all simply because I was too shy and thought that whatever I would write could only be dull and bothersome to the blogger. I'm glad I'm learning to be braver and silence that stupid voice in the back of my head).

-Learn to make better photographs and improve photo's for the blog. Learn to use props in blog photos!

- Start on my epic journey: Learn Gaelic.

Scariest part of the year:At the beginning my boyfriend having a pretty intense surgery. The surgery went well, but he couldn't really walk for a month or so after and things like cycling were a no-no for another few months. It was not a great time, but it was a lot better than the months before the surgery when he was in a lot of pain (I hate waiting lists at hospitals). It would be great to not have to go though all that again next year...or frankly any other year.


Person who will be missed most: 
My grandfather. He was my last grandparent and passed away in August. I miss them.  

Best recipe I tried: Pumpkin Pasta

TV-series or film I'm most looking forward to: The new Doctor Who Series & Shetland.

Do you have a lot to look forward to in the new year? Do you have any goals?
Let me now if you blogged about it! I'm curious to read them! 
Happy New Year's Eve! Cheers to a grand new year for all of us!
 See you in 2014!

Eine Goje Roetsj!


xxx
Nisse

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nelson, super gezellig je jaaroverzicht! Feest van herkenning de terugblik lijstjes en vooruitblik.
Frank: Heerlijk ze heeft het ook! Voor straks; Haha Unne goeie roetsj'!

Nisse said...


Bedankt! Haha ik dacht dat dat toch wel al bekend was ;)

Stas said...

Ha, lijstjes-binnen-in-lijstjes! Wat goed!

It's going to be a busy year, with all the knitting and sewing and picture-taking.
If Susan Crawford's book comes out around your birthday, do tell me in advance ;)

diy said...

Je bent goed bezig.
Ga zo door.
Een heel fijn 2014 wens ik iedereen.

Daaag.

Paul

Lance said...

Haa Nelson,

Leuk. Een hele mooie foto inderdaad.

Groetjes..

Becca said...

You had a busy crafty year! Love that blue Fair Isle cardi. You've definitely inspired me in terms of how much you can achieve in one year! I can't wait for Doctor Who too! I've blogged abut my 2014 goals at www.becca-knithappens@blogspot.com
Happy new year! :) x

Becca said...

You had a busy crafty year! Love that blue Fair Isle cardi. You've definitely inspired me in terms of how much you can achieve in one year! I can't wait for Doctor Who too! I've blogged abut my 2014 goals at www.becca-knithappens@blogspot.com
Happy new year! :) x

Becca said...

You had a busy crafty year! Love that blue Fair Isle cardi. You've definitely inspired me in terms of how much you can achieve in one year! I can't wait for Doctor Who too! I've blogged abut my 2014 goals at www.becca-knithappens@blogspot.com
Happy new year! :) x

Nisse said...


Thank you Becca! That's the best compliment to receive!! Yay, a fellow Doctor Who fan! I'm looking forward to see what "kind of" Doctor Peter Capaldi will be.

Thanks, I will check out your post!

xx

Sandra Augiga said...

I haven't seen Time of the Doctor yet, but I am also looking forward to the new Doctor.

I loved the whole post. It's hard to pick my favorite bit. I'm going to check those book out from my public library, though the English department is a bit lacking.

My own 2014 goals are to finish some UFO's and finally get a fitted woollen cardigan. I also want to start making a Alice Starmore Aran sweater (st. Brigid) and make a Kate Davies cardigan.

Other than that, I might be tempted to make all of the Kitman Figereoa Shawls. They are gorgeous. After your adventure with the KAL of Stephen West, I joined the KAL "Smell as sweet" and that really was an adventure, but the shawl was so gorgeous! I still have to block it though, so it is still a block away.

Looking forward to your next knitting adventures, as well as your sowings ones.... May 2014 bring you only projects that behave are beautiful.

Nisse said...


Go watch it Sandra!!! It was amazing!! I´m really looking forward to see Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor, though I was really sad when Matt announced his leave of the show.

I like Alice Starmore as well, did you know they republished her book Tudor Roses? I'm glad you took the leap into the KAL-adventure, I'm looking forward to your shawl, the pattern looks really complicated!